EHS
Logo
divider


Launched 09/04/2011

Latest update

22/05/2019 16:10

divider
Graveyard Memorial Inscriptions
What's in the database
11698 People
6492 Demography entries
2402 Events
1287 Marriages
413 Properties
415 Photographs
Completed projects ...
  • Properties 1841-1911
  • Demography records 1841-1911 (village only)
  • Cemetery & Graveyard burials
  • Memorial and graveyard inscriptions
Work in progress ...
  • Demography records 1841-1911 (parish)
  • Marriages within the Elham parish
  • Audio/verbal accounts by Elham residents
Coming soon ...
  • Mapping of all properties within the Elham parish
  • List of artefacts
Future projects ...
  • Audio village tour
  • Complete list of shops - past and present
What's new!
Michael Hayes
Doctor Who Producer
Arthur Frederick Broadbridge
Elham resident and diplomat
Charles Alfred Fortin
Elham assistant surgeon
William Lewis Cowley
Elham resident and author
Graveyard burials
John Midgeley
Henry Clayson
STATS - Facts & Trivia
Windlass Cottage Title Deeds
Church Cottage history back to 1720
Anthony Eden
Prime Minister and Elham resident
Welcome to the Elham Historical Society database website. Feel free to browse and uncover the history of Elham. Our dedicated team of historians have recently finished recording the details on all the memorials in the graveyard. Our chairman Derek Boughton has overseen the operation, correlating the data and checking for errors. The results of their labours can be seen of the burials page.

Elham beat off stiff competition for the title of Kent Village of the year 2011 organised by Action with Communities in Rural Kent.

Censuses for outlying communities in the parish will be rolled out gradually. Check out the stats page for interesting facts and

trivia about the village. We still need your help so please send us any information relating to Elham that may be of interest.

Les Ames hits out
Les Ames in action

Elham resident Les Ames in action for England against the West Indies in 1939. He was one of the finer wicketkeeper - batsmen and played for Kent CCC.


Abbot's Fireside c 1450
Abbot's Fireside

The Abbot's Fireside is one of the older buildings in the village and probably dates back to the mid fifteenth century.


Audrey attends school
Audrey Hepburn

Audrey Hepburn (left) lived in Orchard Cottage (Five Bells) for five years in her childhood (1935-1940) and attended the local village schools. She took ballet lessons and dreamed of becoming a prima ballerina. I wonder what became of her?


George V Playing Field
Play for Elham

Dave Lee opens Elham's brand new playground with a sensory garden and a pretty flower meadow created by the Play for Elham charity. 21st November 2010

Swing Riots of 1830
Swing Riots

The machine breaking that led to the riots of August 1830 onwards started in the Elham Parish, writes our historian Derek Boughton, who has made a lifetime's study of the subject.

Elham residents were prominent in the gangs that sought out the new fangled threshing machines and destroyed them. Some of them cost the not inconsiderable sum for the day of £100. Full Story

Blue Vinny 2004

Restaurant opens and is a subject of the Channel 4 series Risking It All. In Series 2 Episode 2 it follows Steve and Lindsay for 16 months as they battle to keep their restaurant afloat. Millionaire Martin Webb battles to pass on his entrepreneurial know-how to a pair of novices who gamble everything they own on opening their own upmarket restaurant in Kent. But with absolutely no catering experience and facing stiff competition, can Steve Butcher and Lindsay McNally live the dream? Steve's passion for the project is infectious. Originally the village bakery the Victorian building now has a stylish modern interior with colourful abstract works of art, polished tables, linen napkins and comfortable leather chairs. Channel 4

Cyril Parkinson 1934

Enrolled as a graduate student at King's College London. He was commissioned into the Territorial Army as a member of the 22nd London Regiment (The Queen's) and was promoted to Lieutenant. Emmanuel College, Cambridge elected him a research fellow

The School House 1620

  This house was built in 1620 - possibly with an earlier core - partially rebuilt around 1700 following damage.  Has mid-to-late C18 facade. Front elevation red brick in Flemish bond.  Right gable end older brick in Flemish type bond.  Plain tile roof. 2 storeys. High painted moulded brick plinth - returned along right gable end.  Plat band to right gable end only.  Plain brick eaves band.  Roof continuous with The Old Bakery left - hipped to right.  Multiple brick ridge stack towards left end.  Irregular fenestration of three twenty-pane sashes in open boxes - with splayed rubbed brick voussoirs; one left of stack - and two broadly-spaced to right - all set well below eaves.  Similar windows to ground floor.  Door of six sunk panels under stack.  Doric porch with moulded triangular pediment and slate roof.  Two-storey tile-hung rear-wing to left - with lower ridge than main range - plan tile roof hipped to rear - and stack to long left side.  Rear lean-to to right - brickwork integral with that of gable end.

  When the school moved away, the house was sold, and in recent years it has been admirably restored, and inside it one can still see the large school room with its timbered walls and wide fireplace. Behind the fireplace is a smaller room which was once the Master's sitting room.The roof is of oak, and is original and in excellent condition. One extraordinary feature is that the wall-plates which support the base of the rafters both at the front and at the back of the house are in one piece, each over fifty feet long, and may be more, as they project into the adjoining house. The Georgian style porch has been added in modern times.

  1725 date stone to right gable end is wrong as Sir John Williams' will, made April 1723, says "my house which I bought and rebuilt".  The house was left to the parish in the will - to provide for the education of six local poor boys with land to provide income.

C.P.R.K. Elham - A Village Study 1968