EHS
Logo
divider


Launched 09/04/2011

Latest update

21/11/2017 09:25

divider




Search Properties



Select Options





Property



Street






c 1514 Grade II Listed
Rose and Crown
High Street
Type: Timber post-medieval. Collar-rafter roof.
C = Church of St. Mary the Virgin


Demography
1234
YearNameAddressRelationConditionGenderAgeOccupationPlace of birth 
1926Henry BarnettHigh StreetHeadMarriedM   
1926Henrietta Eliza BarnettHigh StreetWifeMarriedF   
1921Arthur Lonsdale DolbyHigh StreetHeadMarriedM39PublicanHornsby London
1921Harrie Emma May ParkHigh StreetWifeMarriedF31 Greenwich District
1921Harold Arthur Lonsdale DolbyHigh StreetSon M9 Lewisham
1911Mary FootieHigh StreetAuntSingleF69Assistant In Public HouseSussex Lincs
1911Marion Rosina WilsonHigh StreetHeadSingleF41Licensed VictuallerKent Tenterden
1911Charles WalkerHigh StreetBoarderSingleM26Auctioneer And FarmerMiddlesex Hackney Dover
1911Tomson MaynardHigh StreetBoarderSingleM21Licensed Agents And AuctioneersBedfordshire; Luton
1911Percy DrakeHigh StreetServantSingleM19Barman Assistant General In HouseKent Cheriton
1911Victor HallHigh StreetServantSingleM13Hosue BoyNutty Baunston
1901Sarah WilsonHigh StreetHeadWidowF62Licensed VictuallerLewes
1901Mary FosterHigh StreetSisterSingleF60Cook & HousekeeperLewes
History
123
     
   Colonel Mackinnon Rose & Crown Boer War Goldup
c1514 1480-1520. Timber. Within a large post-medieval building is a 2-bay lower-end cross wing, with speres dividing it from former open hall to N. and for division into 2 service rooms entered by doorways between the two rooms, at S. side of the wing, away from the hall. Reason for this is probably that 1 smoke-blackened rafter pair to S. of wing and at right angles indicates former presence of kitchen beyond wing: the doorway will have enabled it to be entered from either of the 2 conventional service rooms. Collar-rafter roof. R.C.H.M. A Gazetteer of Medieval Houses in Kent, second impression, 1996
 1514 A long, two-storeyed building, originally timber-framed and built in the 16th century. Most of it was refronted, and extended at the south end, where a datestone gives the date, 1740. This inn was used for many years for the Elham Petty Sessions, and the courtroom may still be viewed. Mortises and grooves in the beams show where a small room was set aside for the use of the magistrate, who visited here once a fortnight. Some of the original Tudor timber-framing may be seen at the north end. Inside the inn, some of the joists and beams of the centre bar are obviously re-used timbers, and upon closer examination are seen to have come from a 15th century hall house, which may have once stood on this site. This re-use of older timbers is not uncommon, and has often been wrongly described as re-used ships' timbers. Elham Study
 1729 Mr Monger 3 Quarts of Cummunion Wine & Lowance 00-10-9 pd Edwd Maythom for Cummunion wine for Crismas 01-01-6 pd Edwd Maythom for communion wine for the Easter Sacraments 01-01-6 Elham Churchwardens’ Accounts, 1729-30
 1729 Probate Inventory of Thomas Monger, late of Elham, victualler, intestate, 21 November 1729. Kitchen, Fore-Parlour, Hall, Back Parlour, Maid’s Chamber, Justice Room, Seal Chamber, Rose Chamber, Brewhouse, Buttery, Cellar. Inventory total £74-19-7. The house is fully furnished, and there are 15 pint pots, 12 quart pots, and 17 glasses. There is a copper valued at £1-5-0, and a pipe kiln, in the brewhouse, but there is no beer or wine listed at all. He would appear to have ceased trading since providing the churchwardens with wine earlier in the year. The inventory was shown in court on the following day, 22 November. Edward Maytham must have taken over soon after. CKS: PRC 11/79/46:
 1733 29 March. Death of John Warly of Canterbury surgeon, admission of Mary Warly, widow …. Rose & Crown Inn, occ. Edward Maytham, late lands or tenement of Jonas Warly, clerk, deceased. CKS: U47/3, Elham Manorial Court Rolls
 1834 Rental. William Noble, owner and occupier. One Messuage or Inn called the Rose and Crown. Mary Warley, widow Lee Warley, gent. devised to Thomas Rigden & his heirs ,, William Noble the Elder & his heirs ,, son William Noble & his heirs. CKS: U47/3, Elham Manorial Court
Ownership
 YearAddressHouse Name£ PricePurposeNotesOwner 
 1514High Street  Inn 
 1540High Street  Ale HouseLicensed as an Ale house
 1700High Street  Court House 
 2010High StreetRose and Crown