EHS
Logo
divider


Launched 09/04/2011

Latest update

13/09/2017 23:38

divider




Search Properties



Select Options





Property



Street






The Old House
High Street
C = Church of St. Mary the Virgin


Demography
1234
YearNameAddressRelationConditionGenderAgeOccupationPlace of birth 
1972Herbert Athelstan MaynardHigh StreetHeadWidowerM80 Friern Barnet Middlesex
1953Herbert Athelstan MaynardHigh StreetHeadMarriedM61 Friern Barnet Middlesex
1953Joyce Baron MaynardHigh StreetWifeMarriedF60 Kensington London
1911Annie Bishop HeadWidowF62Private MeansLondon City
1911Kate Maria Piper Mother In LawMarriedF60 Mansfield Nott
1911Bertha May Castle ServantSingleF19General Servant-DomesticKent Womenswold
1901William BishopHigh StreetHeadMarriedM56Physician & SurgeonChipping Norton
1901Annie BishopHigh StreetWifeMarriedF52 City of London
1901Charles Alfred FortinHigh StreetAssistantSingleM28Physician & SurgeonCanada Sorel Quebec
1901Agnes WilesHigh StreetServantSingleF17Housemaid (Domestic)Elham
1891Elizabeth R ChampionHigh StreetVisitorWidowF63Living On Own MeansStepney
1891William BishopHigh StreetHeadMarriedM46General Medical Practitioner Duly RegisteredChipping Norton
1891Annie BishopHigh StreetWifeMarriedF44 St Brides
History
     
   This is a gracious house which still has the atmosphere of the 18th century. It was for a long time the local doctor's house. It is double fronted with a central doorway with a porch, and a bay window on each side. The white stucco front has symmetrical windows, with modern glazing bars. Inside, the stairs are original, and they curve down into the main sitting room, in the most attractive manner. Here, on the left, is a wide fireplace, and each of the two front rooms has a massive beam which supports the floor above. Beneath these rooms is an old brick cellar. The roof of the house is original, and has been repaired in recent years. An addition to the right of the house may have been the doctor's surgery. Elham Study
 1845 Tythe Apportionment - The Canterbury archdeaconry as part of the Maidstone archdeaconry consisted of the rural deaneries of Bridge Charing Canterbury Dartford Dover Malling Elham Shoreham Lympne Sittingbourne Ospringe Sutton Sandwich and Westbere.
 1900 Colonel Mackinnon Old House Boer War Derek Boughton
c1960 Old House Bryan Badham
 2005 The Old House Bryan Badham
Ownership
 YearAddressHouse Name£ PricePurposeNotesOwner 
 1845High Street  Doctor's House William Keeler
 1899High Street  Doctor's House Dr Bush
 1940High Street  Home for 'fallen' women 
 2010High StreetThe Old House