EHS
Logo
divider


Launched 09/04/2011

Latest update

13/09/2017 23:38

divider




Search Properties



Select Options





Property



Street






c 1450 Grade II* Listed
Abbot's Fireside
High Street
C = Church of St. Mary the Virgin


Demography
12345678910...
YearNameAddressFlatRelationConditionGenderAgeOccupationPlace of birth 
1911Thomas WhiteHigh Street1HeadMarriedM55Farm LabourerSaltwood Kent
1911Laura WhiteHigh Street1WifeMarriedF52 Aldington Kent
1911George WhiteHigh Street1SonSingleM27Bricklayers LabourerElham
1911John WhiteHigh Street1SonSingleM20Farm LabourerElham
1911Blanche WhiteHigh Street1Daughter F13SchoolElham
1911Harry WhiteHigh Street1Son M11SchoolElham
1911Gladys WhiteHigh Street1Granddaughter F6SchoolElham
1911Kate WhiteHigh Street1Daughter F5SchoolElham
1911Ninnie PunnettHigh Street2HeadWidowF45LaundressAshford Kent
1911William PunnettHigh Street Elham2SonSingleM23Farm LabourerElham Kent
1911John Benjamin FairmanHigh Street3HeadMarriedM43ButcherMargate Kent
1911Jane FairmanHigh Street3WifeMarriedF43 Herne Bay Kent
1911Caroline HadawayHigh Street4HeadWidowF51 Elham Kent
History
123
     
   Elham Valley Stores Braeside Abbot's Fireside G. Hall
 1450 On the mantlepiece it says “Richard Hayes The Smithies Arms 1614”, and this date is consistent with the style of timberframing on the front, and the brickwork of the gable. The house was indeed a fine one when first built. It had four large windows on the first floor, of which three remain intact. These have transoms and mullions with the tvpical 'Ovolo' moulding of the period, and with small 'Frieze' windows on each side, under the eaves, and now blocked. The small leaded diamond panes still have some glass in them. The overhang of the first floor, and also the eaves are supported by a number of grotesquely carved brackets, one of which will be seen to be a mermaid.

The front of the ground floor has been somewhat altered, and here the two smaller bay windows on the right were inserted in the 18th century, the other two being modern. The attractive front door, and door just inside it are original. A wide stairway once went up in the centre of the house, and part of it may still be seen.

The upstairs rooms of the Abbot's Fireside were once decorated with a painted design of flowers and birds. Several pieces of this design could be seen until a few years ago, but now only one fragment is still preserved under glass.

The north end of the building, known as 'The Cottage', and now part of the restaurant, is a very interesting small house and shop of the 18th century. The shop front and doorway with fanlight is original, but the door has been replaced. It was formerly a baker's shop, and it still has the remains of two chimney breasts at the north end, one for a bread oven.

The handsome original door of the Abbot's Fireside. Note the carved fascia on the overhang, and the plaque issued by the Committee for the Preservation of Rural Kent and the Kent Archaeological Society, for a building of outstanding interest.

Edward Hayes (or Haies) took a mortgage for £100 with Edmund Chambers of Canterbury, milliner, 17 January 1660; £70 remaining transferred to Humphrey Bedingfeild of Elmsted, gent, 5 February 1663, to William Bedingfield of Elmsted, gent under his will. William Bedingfield to John Ashby (£81) 22 January 1669, Ashby to Benjamin Young (£90), 2 May 1670

 1845 Tithe Apportionment: (1) 817 Cottage and Garden, 13 perch, Valentine Laker.
 1845 Tithe Apportionment: (2) 818 Cottage and Garden, 11 perch, Joseph Ashley.
 1845 Tithe Apportionment: (3) 819 Cottage and Garden, 17 perch, George Gale.
 1845 Tithe Apportionment: (4) 820 Cottage and Garden, 20 perch, James Bragg.
 1902 The Abbot's Fireside Bryan Badham
Ownership
 YearAddressHouse Name£ PricePurposeNotesOwner 
 1660 The Smithies Arms Ale House Edward Hayes
 1663 The Smithies Arms Ale House William Bedingfield
 1669 The Smithies Arms Ale House John Ashby
 1670 The Smithies Arms Ale House Benjamin Young
 1845     
 1935High StreetKeeler's Mansion   
 1936High StreetAbbot's Fireside Guest houseNamed by Mrs Farmer
 2010High StreetAbbot's Fireside