EHS
Logo
divider


Launched 09/04/2011

Latest update

13/09/2017 23:38

divider




Search Properties



Select Options





Property



Street






c 1387 Grade II Listed
Elham Manor
The Row
C = Church of St. Mary the Virgin


Demography
123
YearNameAddressFlatRelationConditionGenderAgeOccupationPlace of birth 
1947Ethelwin E ParkinsonThe Row HeadMarriedF32 Northampton
1947Alison B 26147The Row Daughter F4 Marylebone London
1947Christopher F G ParkinsonThe Row Son M2 Marylebone London
1943Cyril ParkinsonThe Row Head M34 Durham
1911Louisa Pringle BourneManor House1HeadWidowF59Private MeansElham Kent
1911Francis Parry BullManor House2HeadSingleF59Private meansRamsey
1911Isabella Charlotte BullManor House2SisterSingleF55Living On Own MeansRamsey
1901Thomas BourneManor House HeadMarriedM52Market GardenerElham
1901Francis P BullManor House VisitorSingleF49Living On Own MeansRamsey
1901Louisa BourneManor House WifeMarriedF49 Elham
1901Isabella C BullManor House VisitorSingleF45Living On Own MeansRamsey
1891Thos BourneThe Row HeadMarriedM42SeedsmanElham
1891Louise Pringle BourneThe Row WifeMarriedF38 Elham
History
     
 1387 This delightful house stands at the top of Culling's Hill, on the Old Road which was once the only way through Elham towards Canterbury. The present house is L.-shaped in plan, and consists of the old hall, once open to the roof, and a large wing on the Culling's Hill side. The services wing, where the buttery and the pantry were, is missing, and was evidently pulled down to make room for the long timbered house on the right of the Old Manor, where a long row of windows on the first floor show that a weaver lived here in the 17th century.

The site of the earliest manor house, sometimes referred to as the 'Palace of the Earls of Eu', was situated a little to the south of the present house, around St. Mary's Church Hall, where fragments of foundations have been found. Some ancient stone walling in the cellars of the two cottages, Nos. 1 and 2 the New Road belong to the Old Palace.

The history of the present house dates from the execution of Sir Simon Burley in 1387. He owned the manor at that time, and his estates were forfeited to the Crown, and were granted shortly afterwards by Richard 11 to the Dean and Canons of Westminster. It would appear that the Old Palace was then demolished, and the present house erected, this having a central open hall, with a two storey wing on each side of it. The hall had a floor inserted in it when the first brick chimneys were added in the 16th century.

Today, the interior of the house is a most charming place, with its wealth of old beams and panelling. The massive tiebeam and crown-post seen upstairs, mark the centre of the old hall, and the moulded and crenellated beams once adorned each side of the hall. The two dragon-beams allowed the joists to give an overhang on three sides. All these features belong to the original house, except the panelling and the old floorboards, which are 17th century. The Old Manor House has been granted the plaque of the Committee for the Preservation of Rural Kent and the Kent Archaeological Society.

Elham Study
c1920 Manor House Bryan Badham
c1930 Manor House Bryan Badham
 1947 The old manor house at Elham was extensively damaged by fire at about 4 o'clock on Friday morning. Mrs. Parkinson, wife of Major C. N. Parkinson, a lecturer at Liverpool University, her two children, a maid and her child, and a nurse, were able to leave in time. Dover Express - Friday 04 April 1947
 2010 Manor House Cottage Bryan Badham
 2010 Manor House Bryan Badham
Ownership
123
 YearAddressHouse Name£ PricePurposeNotesOwner 
 1060     Edric
 1067     Odo de Bayeux
 1086     William d'Aubigny II
 1139     William d'Aubigny III
 1151     John d'Eu
 1171     Henry d'Eu
 1218     Raoul d'issouden
 1218     Raoul d'Exoudun
c1226     Alice d'Eu
 1234     Henry III
 1245     Edward I
 1257     Boniface of Savoy
c1265     Roger de Leyburn
 1271     William de Leyburn