EHS
Logo
divider


Launched 09/04/2011

Latest update

25/02/2017 13:53

divider




Search Properties



Select Options





Property



Street






Grade II Listed
Updown Cottage
The Row
C = Church of St. Mary the Virgin


Demography
1234
YearNameAddressRelationConditionGenderAgeOccupationPlace of birth 
1925George Palmer BakerThe RowHeadMarriedM26BlacksmithNewington
1925Rosanna May BakerThe RowWifeMarriedF23 Chilham
1925George BakerThe RowSonSingleM  Elham
1911Henry Thomas BankThe RowHeadWidowerM77General LabourerWootton Kent
1911Arthur BankThe RowSonSingleM27Bricklayers LabourerNonington Kent
1901Henry BanksThe RowHeadMarriedM66HindWootton
1901Sarah BanksThe RowWifeMarriedF59BlindElham
1901Arthur BanksThe RowSonSingleM18HindNonnington
1891Sarah TerryThe RowHeadWidowF63 Elham
1891John ArnoldThe RowSonSingleM30Farm LabourerElham
1891Rosa LakerThe RowSisterSingleF16VisitorElham
1891Alice ColmanThe RowNiece F11 Wye
1881Sarah Terry The RowWifeMarriedF54 Elham
History
     
   It incorporates a medieval hall house, which has been extended on the south-west side. The original timber-framed house, which appears to date from the 14th, or 15th century, once had an open hall, and a jetty, or overhang at one end. It takes up the whole of Updown Cottage and extends into Well Cottage. A floor was inserted in the old hall, and the main chimney added in the 16th century, and the whole was encased in brick and tile in the 18th century. Of the original house, most of the main framework still survives, as can be best seen inside the bedrooms. The roof also is largely original. Elham Study
   Well & Updown Cottage by Tony Blain Tony Blain RA
 1988 Listed by English Heritage
 2002 Updown Cottage Bryan Badham
 2010 Updown Cottage Bryan Badham
Ownership
 YearAddressHouse Name£ PricePurposeNotesOwner 
 2006The RowUpdown CottageHidden